A lot of people say that Brother utilities are exclusive for Windows operating system, but there is actually the so-called Brother utilities Mac that is designed especially for Mac users. If you want to, you can add Brother machine printer driver by using Mac OS X 10.5 to 10.11. It would be handy to have special features (like Printers and Scanners, or Print and Scan, or Print and Fax) to your Brother machine. You just have to follow the directions.
How to Download the Brother Utilities for Mac OS
Here are the steps to manage the download and installation
- Turn off the printer and then unplug it. You also want to check the interface cable too. If it is connected, you need to unplug it.
- Choose the connection type. For USB users, plug your Brother machine to the outlet and turn it on. Connect it to your computer via the USB cable. Don’t connect the printer to a non-powered hub or USB port located on the keyboard. If you are using wired network, connect your printer and the hub with a network cable. And then turn on your printer. For wireless users, plug the printer to a (power) outlet and turn it on. Then set the machine by consulting the Network User’s Guide or Quick Setup Guide. Check the section Manuals for it.
- Click the Apple Menu, and go with System Preferences
- Click Print and Fax icon
- Choose the + button
- Choose the option Default. From the list of Printer Name, choose the machine. You need to confirm that you are using the right machine by checking whether it is listed for Use or Print Using. Then click Add button. If you are using CUPS, you need to ensure that XXXXXX (your printer’s model) + CUPS are listed in the Use or Print Using. If you are using PostScript Driver (which isn’t available for all types), then you need to ensure that XXXXXX PS or XXXXXX BR-Script is listed. If you are using AirPrint compatibility models, you need to realize that you won’t be able to access the entire function of the driver. If you want the complete functions, it’s better to use CUPS.
- Your printer has been added to the Print and Fax. Close your System Preferences
- That’s it. You are done!
Being Mac users, you need to know that you may not be able to enjoy full access of the driver – unlike the Windows users. But you can still enjoy some perks and benefits with Brother utilities Mac